Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the most common frequently asked questions about ICFP 2021.
How do I register for ICFP 2021?
Registration for ICFP 2021 will open on December 1, 2020. Please visit us then for the latest information.
Which organizations support the ICFP?
Many organizations partnered with us to bring the 2018 ICFP conference to fruition. Through their collective efforts, the conference program was significantly enriched.
The ICFP is made possible with support from the ICFP Core Organizing Group—Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, David and Lucile Packard Foundation, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), United Nations Foundation (UNF), Family Planning 2020 (FP2020), Population Services International (PSI), Marie Stopes International (MSI), International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), Department for International Development of the United Kingdom (DfID) and Government of Canada, as well as the International Steering Committee, comprised of more than 60 partner organizations, and the National Steering Committee of the ICFP.
2018 ICFP sponsors included: Bayer, Pfizer, Pathfinder, dkt, Guttmacher Institute, IBP Initiative, jhpiego, Merck for Mothers, Abt, Ipas, PRB, IntraHealth, EngenderHealth, PAI, PATH, World Vision, AmplifyChange, Promundo, University of Michigan, DSW, CCP, fhi360, Women Deliver, CIFF, PFI, DRPC, She Decides, Enabel, HDI, Partners in Health, Society for Family Health Rwanda and World Vasectomy Day.
ICPF 2021 Sponsorship opportunities are now available. Please visit Sponsorship Opportunities for updated information.
Will translation services be available at the 2021 ICFP?
The official language of ICFP 2021 will be English. But, it is our hope that we will once again be able to offer French Translation in over 50% of all sessions. We also hope to provide translation software which all attendees with smartphones and/or computers will be able to utilize. All sessions taking place in the main Plenary Hall will have both French and Thai translation.
Where is ICFP 2021?
This global gathering will take place in Pattaya City, Thailand at the Pattaya Exhibition and Convention Hall (PEACH). Pattaya City is a coastal city conveniently located 90 minutes southeast of Bangkok along the East Coast of Thailand.
Where can I find more information about the ICFP side events and pre-conferences?
ICFP side events: Side events for the 2021 International Conference on Family Planning include any meetings, workshops, panels, networking sessions, training courses, and presentations that take place outside of conference programmed hours (8:30 to 17:40). Side events are not organized by the ICFP hosts, but by partner organizations and our various subcommittees. They are an opportunity for groups to convene stakeholders to focus on their own area of interest in the format of their choice. If you are interested in hosting an onsite side event within the convention center complex, they are offered through our various sponsorship packages.
The 2018 conference included more than 80 onsite and offsite side events and pre-conferences.
ICFP Pre-Conference: Pre-conferences are organized and hosted by our community partners. You can check out more about these communities in the Communities Tab on this website to learn more about planned pre-conferences.
How many people do you expect to attend the 2021 ICFP?
Based upon our usual increase in attendance, we initially anticipated approximately 5,000 attendees at the ICFP 2021 from over 120 countries around the world. However, we have attempted to mitigate as much risk as possible to the safety and health of our delegates by postponing the conference until November 8-11, 2021, at which time we hope a vaccine for COVID-19 will be widely available. This may affect our total number of attendees. See below for more information about ICFP postponement and planning around pandemic issues.
Who can I contact if my question isn't answered here?
If your question or concern was not addressed in above briefing document, please reach out to the following (note that during peak conference events responses may be delayed).
Registration & Hotels: email@example.com
Side Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Pre-conference & Youth Leadership Applications: email@example.com
Subcommittee questions or sign-up: firstname.lastname@example.org
General inquiries: email@example.com
COVID-19 ICFP Postponement FAQs
Will there be international travel restrictions?
While we have postponed the ICFP to allow time for the development and distribution of a vaccine for COVID-19, it is too early to predict any potential travel restrictions. There may be a vaccination record needed for travel. Sign up for email alerts for up-to-the-minute information on conference logistics as they become available, or check back on the logistics tab.
What measures will be taken to ensure my health and safety?
We are implementing a number of measures to ensure the safety of all delegates, including:
- Increased number of, and access to, hand-washing/hand-sanitizing stations
- Promoting personal protective practices – safe physical distancing, hand washing, use of a mask
- Offering virtual, live-streamed activities
- Changing the event program to reduce high-risk activities such as those that require physical contact between participants
- COVID-19 detection, surveillance and quarantine facilities
- Possible requirement of vaccination to attend
Are you expecting the same number of people to attend the rescheduled conference?
Depending on the availability of a vaccination against COVID-19, we may be able to host the same number of delegates or more than we saw at ICFP 2018— around 4,200. However, if a vaccine is not widely available prior to the conference, travel restrictions and/or physical distancing safety measures may require us to limit the number of ICFP attendees.
Are side events and pre-conference events still available?
Even though the conference has been postponed, organizations can still set up a sponsorship, and secure a side event and exhibit booth. For more information on sponsorships, please visit https://icfp2021.org/sponsorship/
Do you offer registration reimbursement if I change my mind about attending?
The reimbursement policy for registration is as follows:
- 75% of registration fees will be refunded if registrant cancels by July 1, 2021
- 50% of registration fees will be refunded if registrant cancels by October 11, 2021
- No refunds will be processed after October 12, 2021
- Attendees are able to transfer paid registration to another individual up until October 22, 2021
- Between October 23 and November 7, only attendees who are sick or feeling unwell can transfer their paid registration to another individual.
Is there a chance the conference will be canceled altogether?
The only option we are considering is postponement. Due to the fact that the ICFP occurs every 2-2.5 years, rescheduling the conference dates still allows for a substantial gap between ICFPs, which affords us quite a bit of flexibility around scheduling.
I already submitted an abstract, but I want to use it for an earlier conference. Who do I contact?
Due to the fact that the conference date has been pushed to November 8-11, 2021, the ICFP Scientific Subcommittee recognizes that many authors who have already submitted their abstracts may now wish to present this submission at an earlier conference or change their findings based upon new data collected. Therefore, the ICFP suggests that those who have already submitted an abstract should resubmit upon the reopening of the abstract portal on November 9, 2020. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Where can I find a list of the new deadlines?
- Monday, November 9, 2020 – Abstract Submissions and Youth Video Contest open
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020 – Early Bird Registration opens
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021 – Abstract Submissions and Youth Video Contest close
- Wednesday March 24, 2021 – Abstract and Youth Video Contest reviews begin
- Thursday, April 1, 2021 – Nominations for EXCELL Awards open
- Wednesday, May 5, 2021 – First round of abstract reviews ends
- Tuesday, May 11, 2021 – Standard Registration opens
- Wednesday, May 19, 2021 – Secondary abstract reviews and session scheduling begins
- Tuesday, June 1, 2021 – Abstract acceptances and Youth Video Contest winners notified and Jr. Research Travel Grant Applications open
- Wednesday, June 16, 2021 – Abstract Acceptances Deadline
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 – EXCELL Award Nominations due
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021 – Youth Video Contest winners accept their trip
- Thursday, July 15, 2021 – Accepted abstract module re-opens for edits and speaker changes
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021 – Abstract edits closed, program schedule finalized, and presenters notified of assigned sessions
- Friday, September 17, 2021 – Late registration opens
- Friday, October 22, 2021 – Late Registration closes
- Saturday, November 6, 2021 – Onsite ICFP registration begins
- Monday, November 8 – Thursday, November 11, 2021 – International Conference on Family Planning